There is a Derogation in place for the past number of years pursuant to E.U. Council Directive 91/676/EEC concerning the Protection of Waters against Pollution caused by Nitrates from agricultural sources. This Derogation allows heavily stocked farmers to keep up to 250 kg/N/Ha per annum and not 170 kg/N/Ha as is the case for every other farmer. This gives intensive farmers more scope for expansion and allows them to farm without worrying about exceeding the Nitrates limits. The closing date for applications for this year is the 31st of March 2013.TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- A fertiliser plan has to be submitted with your 2013 application( unless you are in REPS 4, or applied for derogation in 2010,2011 or 2012)
- Make an application to the department in the format provided
- Must be farming at least 80% grass
- You must have grazing livestock
- You must have a fertilisation plan in place on your farm by the 1st of March.
- You must keep fertiliser accounts and they must be submitted to the department no later than the 31st of March the following yeat
- Soil samples must be taken at least every four years.
So if you haven’t applied for a Derogation before and you are having bother each year with exceeding the Nitrates limits then you should consider strongly applying for a Derogation this year. SHEEP TECHNOLOGY ADOPTION PROGRAMME 2013 We are currently taking names for the above scheme for Discussion groups for sheep farmers. This is a new innitative by the Department of Agriculture to help the sheep industry reach the targets for the harvest 20/20. The measures that are involved in the scheme are to help farmers improve their outputs on the farm. Fully completed application forms ( form STAP1) must be submitted to discussion group facilitators by the 15 February 2013. If you are interested in the scheme then contact our office immediately and we will discuss the terms and conditions with you. SHEEP FENCING/MOBILE HANDLING GRANTS/DAIRY EQUIPMENT SCHEME These schemes are open for 2013 and are well worth taking a look at. They include the grant for sheep fencing were you have to have at least 50 breeding sheep. The mobile sheep handing equipment grant which comes under the same application form. There are also a range of items available for grant aid under the Dairy Equipment Scheme for Dairy farmers. If you are interested in any of the above please contact our office and we will discuss the terms and conditions. Mark Mc Connell Consultancy and Auctioneers ltd, The Glebe, Stranorlar, Lifford, Co. Donegal T/F 074 91 30772 www.agriculturalconsultant.net