Provides you with vital information about your soils
• A foundation for your fertilizer plan
• A small farm expense costing in the region of €1.25/ha/yr and is valid for 5 years
• A standard soil test will give the soils fertility status as follows; pH, lime requirement, phosphorus (P) and potassium (K).
SOIL PH & LIME
• Lime improves the availability of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sulphur, Calcium and Magnesium
• Lime at least every 5 years
• Ground limestone can be spread at any time
• Apply lime as per soil test report. Avoid over-liming as it can result in trace element imbalances.
TARGET INDEX 3 FOR P & K
• Index 3 is the optimum level for crop growth
• Only by soil testing will you know your P & K levels
• Index 4 soils (high fertility) are a resource - use them to save money on fertilizer
• Index 1 and 2 soils (low fertility) need additional nutrients
• Monitor your soil fertility by looking at previous analysis.
SLURRY & MANURES
• Plan when and where slurry/manure will be best utilised
• Aim to apply slurry in spring during moist cool conditions
• Apply slurry and manures on land that requires P & K
• Take account of nutrients contained in slurry if applying chemical fertilizer to the same area
• Always observe buffer zones from watercourses and wells.
• Develop a fertilizer plan for your farm
• Get the best value from fertilisers and organic manure
• Enhance crop yield and animal performance
• Reduce environmental risks due to field losses of excess nutrients
• Potential cost savings when all nutrient inputs are accounted for
- Tags: Soil Sampling