Precautions you must take when you are applying fertilisers (Organic and chemical)
In order to prevent waters from being polluted by nitrogen and phosphorus, the Regulations say that you must do the following
- You must spread livestock manure and other organic fertilisers, effluents and soiled water as accurately and as evenly as you can.
- You must not use an upward-facing splash plate or sludge irrigator on a tanker or umbilical system for spreading organic fertiliser or soiled water.
- You must not spread organic fertilisers or soiled water from a road or passageway, even if the road or passageway is on your own holding.
- You must not spread chemical fertilisers, livestock manure, soiled water or other organic fertilisers when: -
- The land is waterlogged; -
- The land is flooded, or it is likely to flood; -
- The land is frozen, or covered with snow; -
- Heavy rain is forecast within 48 hours (you must check the forecasts from Met Éireann).